Amphetamine is a serious problem in Ontario and throughout Canada and the U.S. Newgate 180 is a trusted non-profit addiction rehab centre with nearly 50 years of experience successfully treating individuals with Amphetamine drug addiction.
We’re here to help you overcome your Amphetamine addiction so you can lead a full, happy life. Help is just a click away, so contact Newgate 180 if you or a loved one has an amphetamine problem.
What are Amphetamines?
Amphetamine is a class of drugs that includes amphetamine, methamphetamine (“meth” or “speed”) and dextroamphetamine. These drugs speed up the central nervous system and typically produce feelings of energy and euphoria. Some drugs within this class are legal and may be prescribed to treat conditions such as ADHD and narcolepsy. However, if misused, all drugs within this class produce dangerous effects on the body and brain and have the potential to become addictive.
What Is Amphetamine Addiction?
If you are reading this, chances are that you or someone you care about has a problem with amphetamine use. Some of the common warning signs include:
- Needing to use more than before to feel the effects
- Losing control over how much or how often you use
- Needing to use in order to meet the energy demands of your daily life
- Going on “runs” – taking the drug every few hours for up to several days, typically without eating or sleeping
- Experiencing anxiety, severe depression, fatigue, psychosis and intense cravings when you don’t use
- Spending too much money on amphetamines
- Isolating yourself from family and friends
What Causes Amphetamine Addiction?
It is generally accepted that addiction to any substance is not caused by a single factor, but rather by a combination of genetic and environmental influences.
People who tend to be vulnerable to developing a problem with amphetamine use are those whose lifestyle demands sustained energy and alertness such as truckers, students, athletes and soldiers. Those with eating disorders may also be at increased risk due to the weight loss that often comes with amphetamine use.
The bottom line is, if there are problems in your life – or your loved one’s life – due to the use of amphetamines, now is the time to act.
How Do I Know if I’m Addicted to Amphetamines?
You rely on amphetamines to meet the energy demands of your day-to-day life. You take more to produce the desired effects and are using more often than you intended to. You find yourself in a “binge and crash” pattern, sometimes not eating or sleeping for days at a time. You feel anxious, depressed and exhausted when you’re not using. You experience intense cravings and are preoccupied with thoughts of using. You are spending too much time seeking the drug, and spending too much money on it. You are neglecting other important aspects of your life. You may be neglecting your personal appearance and basic self-care. These are just some of many signs that amphetamine use is becoming a problem in your life.
Other possible signs of amphetamine abuse include:
- You have a poor appetite and have lost a lot of weight
- You are experiencing anxiety, excitability, irritability and may be prone to violent outbursts
- You are having trouble sleeping
- You feel a sense of confusion
- You have become secretive and have an increased need for privacy. You feel resentful and defensive when loved ones express concern about you.
- You find yourself using amphetamines and driving, or engaging in other risky behavior (ex. sharing needles, unsafe sex etc.)
- You may experience psychosis (ex. paranoia and hallucinations)
- You develop severe dental problems (“meth mouth”)
- You experience intense itchiness and scratching, leading to skin sores
- You are losing control and feel helpless and ashamed, and have no idea how you ended up in this downward spiral.
How Newgate 180 Successfully Treats Amphetamine Addictions
By visiting our website you have made the first and most important step in recovery. Newgate 180 is here to help you immediately. You will not be put on a waitlist – you will be welcomed to our centre in a caring and respectful way.
To begin, you will complete a comprehensive assessment and your counsellor will develop a treatment plan that’s right for you. We know each client is unique and we do not use a “one size fits all” approach to treatment. We offer a minimum of three individual counselling sessions per week in which you can share whatever’s on your mind.
We will help you address factors that contribute to your use of amphetamines. Your individualized treatment plan will have an emphasis on living a balanced life, stress management, coping skills, managing mental health concerns, self-care, and other issues that are relevant to you.
You will work with a Relapse Prevention Counsellor to develop your own Recovery Plan that will be your personalized “road map” for when you leave Newgate. As you learn, heal and grow at Newgate 180, you will become empowered to take control of your recovery. You will learn to believe in yourself.
Through our holistic program that includes individual and group counselling, art therapy, AA, yoga, fitness training, leisure/recreation, and proper nutrition, you will learn how to create a life worth living without amphetamines.
At Newgate 180 you will rediscover your values and renew your sense of worth. As you become increasingly well mentally, emotionally, physically and spiritually, you will discover a renewed sense of meaning and purpose. We don’t just want you to heal – we want you to thrive.
Reasons to Choose Newgate 180
Newgate 180 is an industry-leading addiction treatment centre that welcomes clients from across Canada, the U.S., and even Europe and Australia. We don’t just treat your addiction; we help you improve mentally, emotionally, physically and spiritually. With a long, distinguished history of success, there are a lot of reasons to choose Newgate 180:
- We will stay by your side for a full year. Our 30-day residential program is followed by 11 months of ongoing care. Our ongoing care program is offered by Skype and telephone, so we can support you no matter where “home” may be for you.
- You can access our services immediately; in many cases we can admit a client within 24 hours.
- We offer a comprehensive, holistic approach to care.
- We offer both individual and group counselling sessions to our clients.
- We have extensive therapy and treatment options, including art therapy, meditation, yoga, fitness training, leisure/recreation, healthy eating coaching, acupuncture, reiki, and exposure to self-help groups.
- We offer a combination of gender-specific and co-ed programming and welcome both men and women into our program, and have two separate facilities.
- We offer both private (single occupancy) or semi-private (double occupancy) rooms.
- We believe that having both genders enriches many of the therapeutic groups. We also recognize that certain topics are most effectively dealt with in “men only” and “women only” groups.
- We work with families to help them understand addiction and offer guidance on how to support a loved one who is in recovery. We know that addiction affects the whole family and we want to help heal unhealthy dynamics, rebuild trust and ensure all parties have the support they need. We offer a unique family program consisting of weekly group sessions, educational events and support throughout the year.
- Our main facility is located on the river in the town of Merrickville. The natural beauty of the river, trees, and gardens creates a peaceful and inviting setting.
- Our men’s and women’s residences have a comfortable, welcoming, ‘non-institutional’ feel that for many make Newgate feel more like a home than a treatment centre.
Here for you 24/7.
Get help now.
"*" indicates required fields
Here for you 24/7.
Get help now.
"*" indicates required fields