Ontario’s Premier Benzodiazepine Addiction Rehab Centre
Although benzodiazepines have a calming effect, they are highly addictive, and a person who abuses them could face a host of symptoms. Newgate 180, Ontario’s leading non-profit benzodiazepines addiction rehab centre, has helped more than 4,000 people overcome their addictions and lead full, happy lives. Help is only a click away, so contact Newgate 180 if you or a loved one has
What Are Benzodiazepines?
Benzodiazepines are a group of medication that can help lower anxiety and facilitate sleep. These drugs slow down the central nervous system and typically produce feelings of calm and relaxation.
What Is Benzodiazepine Addiction?
If you are reading this, chances are that you or someone you care about has a problem with benzodiazepine use.
Some of the common warning signs include:
- Needing to use more than before to feel the effects
- Losing control over how much or how often you use
- Strong cravings for the drug
- Experiencing headaches, insomnia, anxiety, tension, sweating, difficulty concentrating, tremor, sensory disturbances, fatigue, stomach upset and loss of appetite when not using
- “Doctor shopping”
- Isolating yourself from family and friends
What Causes Benzodiazepine Addiction?
It is generally accepted that addiction to any substance is not caused by a single factor, but rather by a combination of genetic and environmental influences.
Individuals who take a benzodiazepine on a daily basis for more than a few weeks – especially at higher doses – are at increased risk of developing an addiction. Also, those who have not engaged in other ways of dealing with anxiety, such as walking, meditation, yoga, therapy etc., are at greater risk. In addition, people with a history of substance use disorders are particularly vulnerable to becoming addicted to benzodiazepines. The bottom line
How Do I Know if I’m Addicted to Benzodiazepines?
You rely on benzodiazepines to cope with your day-to-day life. When something goes wrong or you feel the first signs of anxiety, you immediately reach for a pill. You need more medication to produce the desired effects and are using more often than you intended to. When you’re not using you may experience anxiety, insomnia, fatigue, headaches, stomach upset and other physical symptoms. You experience cravings and are preoccupied with thoughts of using. You are spending too much time seeking the drug, and spending too much money on it. You are neglecting other important aspects of your life, including self-care. These are just some of
Other possible signs of benzodiazepine abuse include:
- You are experiencing weakness, drowsiness and blurred vision
- You feel confused and are not thinking clearly; you have difficulty problem-solving and show poor judgment
- You are noticing mood changes
- You are asking friends, family, and/or colleagues for their benzodiazepine pills
- You are combining benzodiazepines with alcohol or other drugs to amplify their effect
- You have become secretive and have an increased need for privacy.
- You feel resentful and defensive when loved ones express concern about you.
- You find yourself using benzodiazepines and driving, or engaging in
other risky behaviour
- You are losing control and feel helpless and ashamed, and have no idea how you ended up in this downward spiral.
How Newgate 180 Successfully Treats Benzodiazepine Addictions
By coming to our website you have made the first and most important step in recovery. Newgate 180 is here to help you immediately. You will not be put on a waitlist – you will be welcomed into our facility.
To begin, you will complete a comprehensive assessment and your counsellor will develop a treatment plan that’s right for you. We know each client is unique and we do not use a “one size fits all” approach to treatment. We offer a minimum of 2-3 individual counselling sessions per week in which you can share whatever’s on your mind.
We will help you address factors that contribute to your use of benzodiazepines. Your individualized treatment plan will have an emphasis on anxiety management, stress management, coping skills, self-care, and other issues that are relevant to you.
You will work with a Relapse Prevention Counsellor to develop your own Recovery Plan that will be your personalized “road map” for when you leave Newgate. As you learn, heal and grow at Newgate 180, you will become empowered to take control of your recovery. You will learn to believe in yourself.
Through our holistic program that includes individual and group counselling, art therapy, AA, yoga, fitness training, leisure/recreation, and proper nutrition, you will learn how to create a life worth living without benzodiazepines.
At Newgate 180 you will rediscover your values and develop your sense of worth. As you become increasingly well mentally, emotionally, physically and spiritually, you will discover a renewed sense of meaning and purpose. We don’t just want you to heal – we want you to thrive
Reasons to Choose Newgate 180
Newgate 180 is an industry-leading addiction treatment centre that welcomes clients from across Canada, the U.S., and even Europe and Australia. We don’t just treat your addiction; we help you improve mentally, emotionally, physically and spiritually. With a long, distinguished history of success, there are a lot of reasons to choose Newgate 180:
- We will stay by your side for a full year. Our 30-day residential program is followed by 11 months of ongoing care. Our ongoing care program is offered by Skype and telephone, so we can support you no matter where “home” may be for you.
- You can access our services immediately; in many cases we can admit a client within 24 hours.
- Our comprehensive holistic approach.
- Individual and group counselling.
- We have extensive therapy and treatment options, including art therapy, meditation, yoga, fitness training, leisure/recreation, healthy eating coaching, acupuncture, reiki, and AA.
- We offer a combination of gender-specific and co-ed programming and welcome both men and women into our program, and have two separate facilities.
- Rooms are private (single occupancy) or semi-private (double occupancy).
- We believe that having both genders enriches many of the therapeutic groups. We also recognize that certain topics are most effectively dealt with in “men only” and “women only” groups.
- We work with families to help them understand addiction and offer guidance on how to support a loved one who is in recovery. We know that addiction affects the whole family and we want to help heal unhealthy dynamics, rebuild trust and ensure all parties have the support they need.
- Our main facility is located on the river in the town of Merrickville. The natural beauty of the river, trees, and gardens creates a peaceful and inviting setting.
- Both the men’s and women’s residences have a comfortable, welcoming, ‘non-institutional’ feel that for many make Newgate feel more like a home than a treatment centre.
The Newgate 180 Difference
At Newgate 180 there is no long waiting list, in fact, in many cases, we can accept clients within 24 hours if and when they are ready and willing to begin the process of change.