As part of Newgate 180’s mission, we are committed to promoting client privacy and protecting the confidentiality of the health information we hold. Protecting client privacy is part of our commitment to treating clients with dignity, compassion and social responsibility. Protecting your personal information is about quality of care and treating others the way we want to be treated.
Collection of Personal Health Information
At Newgate 180, we collect personal information about you directly from you or from the person acting on your behalf. The personal health information that we collect may include your name, date of birth, address, health history, records of service at Newgate180 and records of the care you received from other services. We also may collect personal information about you from other sources if we have obtained your consent to do so or if the law permits.
We collect personal information, including your health information, under the authority of the Personal Health Information Protection Act, 2004 to provide programs and services, and to carry out the operations of the organization.
Newgate 180 may use and disclose your personal information, including your personal health information, to treat and care for you. At Newgate 180, we work in a team model where a variety of skilled staff at our organization are part of providing high quality services, such as counselling, to you. Your information may be shared among staff in our organization who is involved in your care. In addition, we may use personal health information to:
- Plan, administer and manage programs, services and internal operations, and enhance your safety.
- Conduct quality assurance and quality improvement activities (such as sending client satisfaction surveys, accreditation).
- Comply with regulatory requirements.
- Client billing.
- Fulfill other purposes permitted or required by law.
Refuse, Withdraw or Limit Consent
You have the right to refuse or withdraw your consent for some or all of the above uses and disclosure. (This may be subject to legal exceptions, such as where disclosures are required by law). You can do this by writing us a note and signing it.
Obtaining Access to Your Personal Health Information
You have the right to see your personal health information, including your file. You may submit a request in writing to our Privacy Officer to access your personal information, including your file. We will provide access to your information within 30 days.
Requesting Corrections to Records of Personal Health Information
Newgate 180 has an obligation to correct personal health information, if it is inaccurate or incomplete for the purposes it is to be used or disclosed. You may request that your health information be corrected, if it is inaccurate or incomplete, by writing to us and outlining what information is to be corrected and why.
What We Ask of You
- Let us know when your personal information has changed, so that we may keep it as accurate, complete, and up-to-date as possible.
- Let us know when you have any questions or do not understand why your information is being collected or how it is being used.
- If you have any questions or complaints regarding privacy and your personal information, contact our Executive Director (Privacy Officer).
- If we are not able to satisfactorily re-solve your complaint, we will explain how you may make your complaint to the Information and Privacy Commissioner of Ontario.
How to Make a Complaint or Contact the Privacy Officer
If you think the confidentiality of your personal health information has been compromised in any way or if you still have questions, please contact:
Newgate 180 Addiction Solutions
435 Main Street E
PO Box 724
Merrickville ON K0G 1N0
Phone: (613) 269-2672
Fax: (613) 269-2677
The Information and Privacy Commissioner of Ontario oversees our compliance with privacy rules and PHIPA. You can make an inquiry or complaint directly to the Information and Privacy Commissioner of Ontario by writing to or calling:
2 Bloor Street East, Suite 1400
Toronto, Ontario, M4W 1A8
Phone: 1 (800) 387-0073